kcwc fall 2011: days 1-3

It’s that time again: Elsie Marley’s Kid’s Clothes Week Challenge (Fall 2011) is well underway.  As always, I debated signing up – often I get overwhelmed by the (self-induced/imagined) pressure to produce during KCWC.  This time, I’m trying to go with the flow and relax; I’m focusing on making quality garments, rather than trying to churn through my ridiculously high stack of patterns, fabrics, and expectations.  KCWC is always good for motivation and I’m hoping to ride that wave all the way to Christmas.
After a decidedly lackluster performance (I didn’t even finish that week) during KCWC Spring 2011, it was time for redemption—particularly given that I won a free Charlie Tunic Pattern at the end of KCWC from Made by Rae, despite my slacker showing.
IMG_4828
What better way to start off the week than by sewing something using the very pattern I won last spring for the very first time?  So that’s what I did.  I attempted to modify the original pattern to a Charlie Tunic Dress, using Rae’s instructions here.  Only problem is that I forgot to make it slightly more A-line when I cut out the fabric; I did manage to narrow the neck yoke and make outside sleeve facings.  Instead of making the bottom a facing, I sewed it on as an extension/band for more length.
IMG_4831
This is intended to be part of  L’s (my niece’s) Christmas present come December.  I won a small piece of this Zoo Menagerie print in a giveaway several months ago and wanted to use it on something for L because she loves elephants.  The main body of the tunic is a rayon/linen blend, and I used wooden buttons (that I still want to fiddle with) from my button box.
IMG_4829
This pattern was fantastically clear to follow, with just enough details to keep it interesting.  I made the 18-24 month size.
And what dress doesn’t need a cute diaper cover to go with it?  Certainly not this one.  This morning I finished one up out of another coordinating Zoo Menagerie print from the same giveaway win:
IMG_4834
I didn’t have quite enough fabric to cut out the 12-24 month size of Dana’s Perfect Diaper Cover, so I cut two strips of the same linen blend I used for the dress body and inserted them on the sides of the diaper cover to make it the right size.
IMG_4835
IMG_4838
Very pleased with the outcome on this one.  Stop by the Elsie Marley Flickr group for more KCWC inspiration!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s